Monday, March 11, 2013

2013 Offseason Update, Week 5


Photo credit to NFL News Desk.
Every Monday during the offseason, I will be recapping some of the biggest stories of the previous week that I did not cover individually.

Before I get to last week’s news, I have a quick announcement. Contrary to previous offseason plans, I will not be posting every day of the week. I will continue with my weekly updates and will blog for big events that catch my attention. But, at least for the next month, I need to shift my focus to another project I am working on. I am a staff writer at ACC Battles, covering men’s and women’s basketball, as well as track & field, at the University of Maryland. It’s a great gig and I’m stoked to be a part of a brand new sports journalism medium.

However, it’s become even more involved than I previously expected, and it’s too important to me for me to half-ass it. So to keep my priorities in order, Puff on the NFL will have to go to the wayside for a little while as I pursue a fantastic opportunity to break into the field of sports journalism.

To Jet or Not To Jet

Darrelle Revis has been the center of trade rumors for a couple weeks now and it doesn’t look like it will end any time soon. Based on the limited information about a possible trade, teams’ dwindling interest, and there still being questions about Revis’ health, I’m thinking that the Jets don’t have any intention of trading Revis.

New York will not be allowed to place a franchise tag on Revis after this season when his contract expires and they don’t have the money to sign him long term. They need to trade him now if they want something back for him. But we have no idea how healthy Revis is or will be because the Jets won’t talk to his agents. Certainly a bizarre situation.

Free Agency

You’re free to check out SBNation.com’s list of the top 50 free agents, but here are some of my thoughts on their list.

Mike Wallace occasionally has issues with drops. He’s very athletic and an excellent receiver, but if I needed a WR, I’d go with someone a little more reliable. The one thing Wallace has going for him over Greg Jennings and Wes Welker is his youth.

Tony Gonzalez shouldn’t be on this list. He has already said if he comes back it won’t be for anyone but the Falcons. Sure Tony went back on his retirement plans, but I think he’s serious about this one.

Reggie Bush broke out in several games for the Dolphins this year. If he’s cheap enough, he’s worth the risk.


If I’m missing anything important, or if you just want to hear my thoughts on any other offseason news from the past week, feel free to contact me via my blog’s Facebook page or my Twitter account, @cpuffnfl.

No comments:

Post a Comment