Thursday, September 8, 2011

Week 1 Predictions

It is football time, with 8:30pm tonight marking the start time for the first game of the 2011 NFL Regular Season.

This year I will post predictions for each game (with a couple comments for the games I expect to be fairly close. The day following the games (i.e. tomorrow for the NO@GB game, Monday for all the Sunday games, and Tuesday for the Monday Night games) I will post about the game(s) on the previous day.

The following are my predictions (I only predict scores for the postseason, my predicted winners are in Bold).

Thursday, September 8

8:30pm
New Orleans @ Green Bay

This should be a very good game, but I think the Packers have the stronger defense. I also think Green Bay's offense has the upper hand with a better 1-2 punch in the backfield.

Sunday, September 11

1:00pm
Pittsburgh @ Baltimore

I really wanted to pick Baltimore at home here, but Pittsburgh started fast last year without Roethlisberger, and I think they will start just a well with him this year.

Atlanta @ Chicago

Cincinnati @ Cleveland

Indianapolis @ Houston

I felt this way even before it was announced that Manning would be out. I think Collins will be fine in the Colts offense, but I don't think he will be winning many games that the Colts would not have won with Manning under center.

Tennessee @ Jacksonville

Buffalo @ Kansas City

Philadelphia @ St. Louis

Detroit @ Tampa Bay

This is a game I very much expect to be close, but with a defensive line as strong as Detroit's is, I don't think Josh Freeman will be able to get in the rhythm he needs to be in to lead Tampa Bay to a win this weekend. In addition, with Stafford and Best both healthy, the Lions offense will take advantage of having two very good skill position players healthy while they have them (neither have been full-season bets so far in their careers.

4:15pm
Carolina @ Arizona

Minnesota @ San Diego

Seattle @ San Francisco

New York Giants @ Washington

I do not see the Giants running away with this one, but I am very weary of trusting that the Redskins will begin the regular season at the level they performed through most of the preseason, simply based on history.

Dallas @ New York Jets

Monday, September 12

7:00pm
New England @ Miami

10:15pm
Oakland @ Denver

This one definitely has the makings for a close game. There still seems to be some uncertainty about who will start under center for Denver, though Orton has been named the starter. This uncertainty will not bother Oakland, however. They have won seven consecutive division games (yes, they went 6-0 in the AFC West last year and still missed the postseason) and Monday Night could be number eight in a row.

I am very excited for the start of the Regular Season tonight. I will be rushing home from class this evening to try and catch the tail end of the 1st quarter so hopefully I will not miss too much of the excitement. I will post a short recap of tonight's game sometime tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment