Friday, September 16, 2011

Week 2 Predictions

Last week I posted my predictions for the 16 games played in the first weekend of 2011 NFL regular season action. My final tally for the week was 10-6. Cincinnati and Buffalo both played much better than I had expected (and Kansas City and Cleveland both played worse than I think anyone expected). The game I felt worst about missing was the Baltimore game. I predicted before preseason began that the Ravens would go 13-3, but I had them losing their home opener to Pittsburgh. Now, granted no one expected Roethlisberger to throw three interceptions and for the Ravens to force seven total turnovers, but they blew out the Steelers’ defense, too.

I will take 10-6 for an opening weekend that was full of many surprises. In fact, I had New England blowing out Miami, but the game was even closer than the 38-24 final score suggests. Hopefully I have a little better grip on what to expect for the coming week, because here are my predictions for the games this Sunday and Monday, with my predicted winners in bold.

Sunday, September 18

1:00pm
Seattle @ Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh will be at home, so there is home-field advantage consideration here. Also, Seattle was not very impressive last week against San Francisco, and Pittsburgh will be out to mend its severely damaged ego.

Oakland @ Buffalo

This could be a very good game. I’m not willing to say that Buffalo or Ryan Fitzpatrick are the real deal because I did not see their game against Kansas City and I do not know how badly the Chiefs played. But Oakland was very sloppy and McFadden was their only high point on offense, and he did not score on Monday night. I take the Bills at home.

Arizona @ Washington

I give Kolb the edge at QB, but Arizona is a bit thin in the backfield. The Redskins would be helped if their running game can get going this week; but, if nothing else, Grossman will be facing a secondary that was torched for a Week 1 rookie record 422 passing yards by Cam Newton.

Tampa Bay @ Minnesota

No bold means no winner. That’s right, I am going out on a limb and predicting a tie. Tampa Bay was ok last week. They did not play that great on offense, but their defense held Jahvid Best to 72 yards and I think they can keep Peterson right around 100 or just under the century mark this Sunday. The Bucs did give up a lot of passing yards, but McNabb did not approach even 50 passing yards last weekend, and I do not see a significant rise in that stat coming. But, again, Tampa Bay did not particularly impress on offense. Tampa Bay could win if Minnesota has another big second half letdown in their pass defense, and Josh Freeman certainly has the ability to take advantage of that, but I am going with my gut (or limb) and predicting a tie.

Jacksonville @ New York Jets

Chicago @ New Orleans

Green Bay @ Carolina

Baltimore @ Tennessee

Kansas City @ Detroit

Cleveland @ Indianapolis

This is a tough one to call. I like Cleveland this year, but they went out and had a very poor performance against Cincinnati last week at home. Now they are in a hostile environment, against a team that would still love to be able to play in a home Super Bowl, with a quarterback who looked decent in the second half last week and has had more time to get familiar with his new offense (and the offense has had another week to get more familiar with Collins).

4:05pm
Dallas @ San Francisco

Despite Tony Romo’s late game collapse, he has been a very inconsistent quarterback in the past, and this week that could actually work to his advantage.

4:15pm
Cincinnati @ Denver

As long as the Tebow chants do not get too distracting for Kyle Orten, look for him to have another slightly above average game this weekend. Cincinnati still does not seem too sure about their quarterback situation going forward, and until they do, I do not see the Bengals winning consecutive games this season.

San Diego @ New England

I only give the Patriots the win here because they are at home. San Diego is a better team than Miami and the Dolphins had a field day on offense; just wait until you see the kind of game Philip Rivers has. On the same note, San Diego had some holes on defense against Minnesota and Brady will take full advantage of the smallest opening.

Houston @ Miami

Miami should have a good game, but Houston is riding high after blowing out the only other team in their division that seems to have a legitimate chance of winning the AFC South. Look for the Texans to take that momentum into Miami and send the Dolphins to a rough 0-2 start.

8:20pm
Philadelphia @ Atlanta

America’s Game-of-the-Week features both of my preseason NFC favorites. I do not know what Atlanta has done to correct their laundry list of problems from the Chicago game, but if they cannot stop Vick and McCoy early, they will not be able to come back when their defense finally starts to get through in the second half (as it no doubt will).

Monday, September 19

8:30pm
St. Louis @ New York Giants

This one is more just me expecting the unexpected than anything. I think the Giants do gain a bit of an advantage if Steven Jackson does not play. But for now, Jackson is still somewhere between probable and questionable for this Monday’s game in New York. Not only that, but Sam Bradford should be able to have at least as good a game as Rex Grossman did last week, so if Jackson is in, it should not be close; if Jackson does not play, it should be a good game with the advantage still going to St. Louis in my mind.

I will be back on Monday with a recap of Sunday’s action and then Tuesday with a brief recap of the Rams/Giants game. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment