Monday, May 27, 2013

2013 Offseason Update, Week 16

Levi's Stadium, set to open in 2014, will be the 49ers new home
and was chosen to host Super Bowl L in February 2016.
Photo from Wikipedia.

Happy Memorial Day everyone!

Homes Chosen for Super Bowls L and LI

The San Francisco Bay Area was awarded Super Bowl L (50) on Tuesday. It will be just the second time the area has hosted the NFL’s biggest game. In 1985, Stanford hosted Super Bowl XIX and Joe Montana led the 49ers to a 38-16 victory over the Dolphins in Dan Marino’s first and only appearance in the title game. It was the closest a team has come to winning a Super Bowl at home.

Houston was awarded Super Bowl LI, which is tentatively set for February 5, 2017. Houston hosted Super Bowl XXXVIII in 2004 and Tom Brady won his second ring as Adam Vinatieri again came through in the clutch. It was also the site of Janet Jackson’s famous ‘wardrobe malfunction.’

Kansas City Changing their Offense?

Reports last Monday suggested that Alex Smith was running the Chiefs’ offense out of the pistol last week, a formation mostly used with read-option sets like what the Redskins and 49ers used with RGIII and Colin Kaepernick last year. With a running back like Jamaal Charles, this sort of formation could work. But it might make it less likely for Dwayne Bowe to lead the league in receptions like he plans to do.

Michael Crabtree Tears Achilles

Doctors have not said for sure that Crabtree will not return this season, but it would be a late-season return if it comes at all. Last year, after Alex Smith’s concussion, Crabtree and Kaepernick developed quite a rapport and the two enjoyed a high level of success late in the season and through the playoffs.

Charles Woodson Returns to Oakland

Woodson’s first home in the NFL was in Oakland, and now that his career in Green Bay has come to its end, he is returning to the Raiders on a one-year contract. It’s a good opportunity for both parties. Though the Raiders have been a struggling franchise for many years, the defensive secondary is one area in which they have done a good job of drafting and developing solid players. Woodson has the opportunity to be a part of a solid secondary late in his career and the young Raiders players will have a lot of experience to draw from by watching and listening to him.

‘Puff on the NFL’ to take New Direction this Season

As I mentioned at the beginning of the offseason, I am now writing for ACC Battles, covering several athletic teams here at the University of Maryland. Because of that, I have less time for projects like this blog.

That said, covering the NFL truly is my passion and I am not prepared to give it up completely. So this year I will be doing something a little different. During the regular season, I will be focusing on the Redskins and Ravens, the two local teams. I will also cover prime-time games in depth (Thursday-, Sunday- and Monday-night games) and will predict every game of every week. But, until the playoffs, my main focus will be the Redskins and Ravens. I will still be watching as many games as possible, but I will not recap every game as I did last season.


I’d like to thank everyone for their support and for reading all my blog posts. As always, if I’m missing anything important, or if you just want to hear my thoughts on any other offseason news from the past week, feel free to contact me via my Twitter account, @cpuffnfl.

No comments:

Post a Comment