Monday, June 3, 2013

2013 Offseason Update, Week 17

Tom Brady is working with new receivers during OTAs. Three of his
top receivers from 2012 are inactive with injuries and four more are
no longer with the team. Photo credit to BusinessInsider.com.

We had yet another slow week of NFL news. But it’s June, so that is certainly something to be excited about. We’re another month through the offseason and that much closer to football!

JaMarcus Russell

Fifty pounds is a lot to drop for anyone. For JaMarcus Russell, it was essential if he wanted any chance of returning to professional football. He has done it and is now down to 265, his weight from 2007. He is rumored to have the interest of multiple NFL teams and some CFL teams, though no teams have been named as suitors. Russell has said that he is open to signing with a CFL team if he doesn’t do so in the NFL some time in the next four to six weeks.

Cam Newton has also shed some weight this offseason, twelve pounds to be exact. It appears to be mostly fat weight he’s shed as he looks a little more toned. Hopefully that leads to a healthy season as he tries to carry the Panthers to a better finish in the NFC South in 2013.

Opening for the Dolphins?

I haven’t offered much insight into my predictions for the upcoming season yet, so here is a little on the AFC East. I expect the Dolphins to finish second, but there may be an opening for them to leapfrog the Patriots. With the various surgeries Rob Gronkowski has gone through and is recovering from, Tom Brady is without his top seven pass-catchers from 2012.

Here is the list:
  • Wes Welker (118 receptions) – Denver Broncos
  • Brandon Lloyd (74) – Free Agent
  • Rob Gronkowski (55) – Inactive, rehabbing arm and upcoming back surgery
  • Aaron Hernandez (51) – Inactive, rehabbing shoulder injury
  • Danny Woodhead (40) – San Diego Chargers
  • Julian Edelman (21) – Inactive, foot injury
  • Deion Branch (16) – Free Agent


Madden NFL 25

I always look forward to Madden and keep close tabs on the development of the games. This year, Connected Careers returns with modes where you can play as a coach, player, or owner. Unfortunately, owners can’t bid to host Super Bowls, so there goes my idea of building a state-of-the-art dome with real grass for the Redskins.

There will be a sideline reporter, Adam Schefter will provide commentary during the draft and replays are supposed to look more authentic, like what you see during actual broadcasts. In addition, the Infinity Engine has been touched up so we should see more realistic foot-planting when running with the ball and players shouldn’t be able to float up onto their feet after the play.

Reminder

As I mentioned at the beginning of the offseason, I am now writing for ACC Battles, covering several athletic teams here at the University of Maryland. Because of that, I have less time for projects like this blog.

That said, covering the NFL truly is my passion and I am not prepared to give it up completely. So this year I will be doing something a little different. During the regular season, I will be focusing on the Redskins and Ravens, the two local teams. I will also cover prime-time games in depth (Thursday-, Sunday- and Monday-night games) and will predict every game of every week. But, until the playoffs, my main focus will be the Redskins and Ravens. I will still be watching as many games as possible, but I will not recap every game as I did last season.


If I am missing anything important, or if you just want to hear my thoughts on any other offseason news from the past week, feel free to contact me via my Twitter account, @cpuffnfl.

No comments:

Post a Comment