Friday, August 2, 2013

2013-14 Postseason Picks, Part II: AFC Playoff Picks



Yesterday I published my predictions on every team’s final regular season record. So today, I’m here to tell you who will represent each conference in the 2013 playoffs, starting with the AFC. I talked briefly about these picks on Wednesday’s podcast of The All-Sports Crew. Here are a few more details about my picks.

AFC Postseason

1.            Denver Broncos (13-3) – AFC West Champion, Home Field Advantage

The Broncos are a pretty easy choice to win 13 games or more. Even if Von Miller is suspended for a few games, and even with Elvis Dumervil signing with the Ravens, they have one of the better defensive units in the AFC, and their offense will be the best in the conference. That, mixed with another easy schedule, will make for an easy road to home field advantage.

2.            Miami Dolphins (11-5) – AFC East Champion, 1st Round Bye

I can see a million ways the Dolphins can screw this up, but they have a team that can compete with New England this year, and they have a slightly easier schedule than their division rivals.

3.            Houston Texans (9-7) – AFC South Champion

The Texans can win as many as 12 games in my opinion. But with their focus seemingly shifted to finishing the season, we likely will not see them make as long an early-season run this year as we did in 2012. They will get caught up in a tough early- and mid-season schedule, but a strong finish will net them a third straight division title.

4.            Cincinnati Bengals (8-8) – AFC North Champion

This one came down to the final two weeks of the season, and I expect Cincinnati’s home game against Baltimore in Week 17 to be flexed to Sunday night, where I think home field gives the Bengals an edge and the AFC North title.

5.            New England Patriots (10-6) – 2nd Place AFC East, Wild Card

The Patriots can certainly win the AFC East, but it will have more to do with what the Dolphins do down the stretch than it will what the Patriots do. I respect Tom Brady’s game, but he doesn’t usually perform well with receivers that he isn’t familiar with. He has lost too many weapons this offseason, and it will be a struggle even to win 10 games. But it’s Tom Brady and Bill Belichick, so I can’t very well push them to fewer than double-digit wins.

6.            Kansas City Chiefs (10-6) – 2nd Place AFC West, Wild Card

The Chiefs had one of the best bad teams in 2012, with multiple pro bowlers. They kept Dwayne Bowe in house and added a quarterback who will be able to get the ball to their second-best offensive player. With Alex Smith in house to open up their aerial attack, Jamaal Charles could have a bigger year than ever on the ground.

Other Contenders

In the AFC East, the Bills have a lot of talent at running back, but I’m not going to bank on Ryan Fitzpatrick getting back to his early-2011 form.

The Steelers are a better team than the 6-10 record I predict for them, but they have a rough schedule and I’m not expecting to see much better than the disheveled Steelers unit of 2012.

Out West, the Chargers should be playoff contenders, but they won’t.

The only other three serious contenders I see are the Ravens, Colts and Raiders. The Ravens lost a lot of pieces this offseason, but they got Vonta Leach back, which is huge. Unfortunately, I don’t think it will be enough to make up for all their departures and the devastating loss of Dennis Pitta for the season to a hip injury.

The Colts also have a tough schedule. The have plenty of playoff talent on the team, but losing Bruce Arians may be bigger than anyone wants to think.

As for the Raiders, I love their addition of Matt Flynn at quarterback, and I expect him to wind up winning the starting job. However, I have only gotten to see him play one regular season game and some limited preseason action, so I can’t pick the Raiders with any confidence just yet.

Preliminary Playoff Predictions

This is only the second year I am doing this. I got one playoff game correct last preseason, when I predicted the Ravens to win in Denver (though I picked the opposite the week of that game). I also picked the Patriots to beat the Ravens last preseason. Everything else got pretty shot out since the Texans were the only other team I correctly predicted.

Here are my 2013 playoff predictions.

AFC Wild Card

Kansas City Chiefs @ Houston Texans

As much as I like the Chiefs to improve drastically this season, they can be suspect at times and I think the Texans focus on finishing will carry over into some strong postseason performances.

New England Patriots @ Cincinnati Bengals

The Patriots have a better coach and better players. New England has had some playoff struggles the past several season, save for 2011, but the Bengals aren’t ready to take the next step.

AFC Divisional Playoffs

New England Patriots @ Denver Broncos

I have New England winning their regular season showdown in Foxboro, but in Mile High, I think Peyton Manning delivers the first playoff victory for his new team. 

Houston Texans @ Miami Dolphins

The Dolphins, like the Bengals, don’t look to me like a team ready to make the next step to playoff success. Mike Wallace is a welcome addition to the offense, but it isn’t enough. Houston wins a close one.

AFC Championship Game

Houston Texans @ Denver Broncos

Houston says this is a ‘Super Bowl or Bust’ year, but I don’t think they are a Super Bowl-ready team. Manning gets his third Super Bowl appearance.


Like last year, I will predict the Super Bowl victor in my NFC post.

Check back shortly for my NFC playoff picks and be sure to follow me on Twitter, @cpuffnfl.

No comments:

Post a Comment