Wednesday, February 23, 2011

2011 Offseason: Washington Redskins

I wrote something for the Redskins a couple of days ago, but I realized that my attempt at humor also made it rather obvious of my biases concerning Washington. I will say, however, that my idea in that other write-up, one about the Skins needing to switch their uniforms back to the early 70’s one full-time, was a good idea.

The Redskins have a lot to do and nearly nothing to work with. In the past they spent too much time trying to get big-name players and, in doing so, lost many of their draft picks. That hit will still be felt for the next few years. They finally got away from that, for the most part, this past offseason. But because Washington still didn’t have much success in 2010, the concern is that they will go right back to their old ways.

Rest assured that will not happen. If it does, it won’t be because of Dan Snyder (first time I’ve been able to say that). He’s kept true to his word that Allen and Shanahan are running the show, at least so far. The Redskins are already looking to get a start on free agency, hosting Oshiomogho (O.J.) Atogwe, a former safety for the Rams. Having him in that free safety position could be the piece the Redskins’ secondary has been missing for several years now.

Clearly the biggest concern for Washington right now is at quarterback. I think they are in a good place at wide receiver and at running back (assuming they start Ryan Torain next season). But clearly Donovan McNabb doesn’t have the full trust of the coaches, and if Rex Grossman does then there are bigger problems in D.C. than I can begin to address.

I’ve seen a few mock drafts so far, and I like some of the guys experts are putting with the Redskins. In the most recent one I saw it was Prince Amukamara, a cornerback from Nebraska. I saw one of his workouts today on SportsCenter; very impressive I have to say. Another guy I liked seeing next to the Redskins logo is Blaine Gabbert, a quarterback from Missouri.

I don’t want to like the idea of the Redskins drafting a quarterback. They pick up and drop off quarterbacks like it’s their job. But Gabbert’s was another workout I’ve seen and he’s sharp. He is very accurate, he has a very crisp, fluid motion when he throws, and he can make some nice throws on the run, something the Redskins will need if they can’t address another issue that’s been hung out to dry for several years now: the offensive line.

The Redskins have a lot of issues, unfortunately, but those are the most pressing in my opinion. If they can clear all those problems up, they actually might not be half bad next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment