Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Super Bowl Week: Just out of Reach

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

We’re so close to the Super Bowl I can hardly contain my excitement. This is without a doubt my favorite sporting even of each year, and now that we are just less than four days until the opening kickoff of Super Bowl XLV I just want it to start now. The two teams playing on Sunday, meanwhile, are in the middle of their final week of preparation for the final game of the 2010-11 NFL season.

Not much happened today, so I wasn’t sure if I would write anything. But I did say yesterday that I would so I didn’t want to just not write. Instead, I will write on the two or three updates to come out of Arlington today and then say that whether I write tomorrow will depend on what happens from now until then.

One of the biggest storylines this week in North Texas is the weather. There have been some power outages all week, though none have, or are expected to affect Cowboys Stadium. Because of the weather both teams were forced to go indoors for practice. Pittsburgh used the indoor facility at TCU while the Packers held practice at Highland Park High School’s indoor football facility. Highland Park is the alma mater of Detroit Lions QB Matthew Stafford.

Steelers Center Maurkice Pouncey took his boot off today. He has a sprained right ankle and has been in a boot for some time. Though he did take it off today and did not use crutches to get around, he did not practice. He isn’t quite ready to get on the field yet but it still holding some hope of returning. He did say, however, that if he wants to play in Sunday’s game he will need to practice by Friday but feel confident that it will happen. He set his chances of playing at about 75%.

The only other notable Super Bowl news today is a poll on NFL.com. So far 122,711 have voted on who they think will win the Super Bowl. Currently, the Packers are considered the slight favorite by fans with a 53% vote to Pittsburgh’s 47%.

No comments:

Post a Comment