Sunday, February 6, 2011

Super Bowl XLV: Prediction

Sunday, February 6, 2011
Cowboys Stadium, Arlington, TX

Pittsburgh Steelers
Green Bay Packers

It is finally here, the day sports fans have been awaiting for two weeks now, and anticipating for much longer than that.

As I have for now 11 years, I played a Super Bowl prediction game this morning on Madden. For the past four years, I have played as the team I will be rooting for (this year the Packers) in the first half and the other team in the second. Prior to that I only played as my preferred victor. I am 8-2 all-time using Madden and 2-1 when switching teams at half time.

All week I have been saying that I think the Steelers are the stronger team and so the team I think will win. Though I may still feel that way, the prediction you all will have to hold me to is my official one, which comes from this game.

It was close throughout, but I won’t go into detail since the highlights and stats, I can say with confidence, will not be anything like the real thing. But this should, in reality as in the video game, be a very good game to watch.

We are going through a really nice era in the NFL where the Super Bowl is generally a close matchup. Last year the Saints won by 14, but I consider it a close game because the Colts had a chance to tie it up late. The only reason New Orleans won by so much is because of a late pick-6. The last time a Super Bowl was decided by more than two scores was in 2003 when the Bucs smashed the Raiders, 48-21. Two years before that the Ravens crushed the Giants.

But before that, it was common for the championship game to be decided by double digits. In fact, from the 1982 Super Bowl (XVI, 49ers vs. Bengals) and the 2000 Super Bowl (XXXIV, Rams vs. Titans), only 5 ended with the losing team within 10-points on the winner.

Even if my prediction is wrong, I am hoping that the implication of a close game will hold true. That said, I will wrap up this post with my predicted score and my MVP, based on the player stats from my game.

My official prediction:

Final Score: Green Bay wins, 31-30
MVP: QB Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay

2 comments:

  1. Cory P,
    Hell, my name is Barbara Malm. I am the Director of Human Resources for ESPN and over the course of the past week I have been scouring the web looking for in depth and interesting input on the Super Bowl game. I do not know if you are aware, but we are in the process of looking for talent to serve as columnists to write about major sporting events throughout the year. We are interested in you. If you are interested in further information please feel free to contact me at sportsgal1975@yahoo.com.
    As a wise man once said, "Live long and prosper"
    Take heed of these words

    Thank you,
    Barbara Malm

    ReplyDelete