Friday, February 3, 2012

Super Week: Two Days Away



Super Bowl XLVI is so close and the anticipation is starting to get to me. The media has been in a whirlwind all week, trying to keep up with the development of everything Peyton Manning while also covering the two teams that this week is truly about.

While there is more going on around the NFL than the storylines of Manning and the 46th playing of the Super Bowl, they by far overshadow anything else the league has had to offer the past several days. However, before I get to those two topics, I’ll provide a brief summary of some other news of the week.

Roger Goodell held a press conference earlier today and I really liked what I heard. He touched on several topics, including the possibility of expanding the NFL to Los Angeles, issues concerning concussions and HGH testing, Thursday Night Football in 2012, and more. To go into detail would make this way too long, so instead I will link to the video of his press conference at the end of this post.

The Pro Football Hall of Fame Selection Committee will meet tomorrow to make a final decision on the Class of 2012. I will also link to a list of the semifinalists at the end of this post. Personally, I am hoping that Cris Carter and Don Coryell will be two members of this year’s class. Watch NFL Network at 5:30 p.m. Saturday to see who is elected to the Hall of Fame.

I don’t want to spend much time on the topic of Peyton Manning because I know a lot of people are tired of hearing about him and, quite frankly, I’m more focused on this Sunday’s game.

Sometime last night, the doctor who performed his surgery, according to several sources, cleared Manning to resume his career. Colts owner Jim Irsay tweeted shortly after,
"Peyton has not passed our physical nor has he been cleared to play for The Indianapolis Colts. Team statement coming on Friday."
I have yet to hear any official statement, but there certainly seems to be some tension remaining despite the joint statement made by the two parties earlier this week.

The excitement surrounding this weekend is sky-high right now. Almost two weeks ago, after the conclusion of the NFC Championship in San Francisco, I could swear I heard a massive groan from the sports fans of America. Nobody seemed to be all that interested in the Super Bowl XLII rematch. But as the week has progressed I think many people have warmed up to the matchup.

The Giants’ defensive line is almost certainly better than it was in 2007, as are Eli Manning and the receiving corps on offense. The Giants, who barely sneaked off with the NFC East title, are the hottest team in the league right now. Though the Patriots have gone longer since their last loss (to the Giants in week 9), their defense hasn’t faced a particularly strong offense since then. The only possible exception would be the Redskins in week 14 because they turned their level of play up, but even saying that was a strong offense is a major stretch.

As funny as it sounds, the roles may be reversed this year from those of the 2007 Super Bowl. The Patriots will have to run with the Giants on Sunday, but they will need their tight ends at full strength to do so. Rob Gronkowski (left ankle) was listed as questionable today for Sunday’s game. However, he was seen practicing with no limp today. If he is indeed healthy and ready to go Sunday evening, the Giants’ linebackers and secondary will have their hands full.

One big question I’m looking forward to having answered is whether Chad Ochocinco will finally be used this weekend. He wasn’t a big part of the New England offense at any time during the season, but that could make him all the more effective.

I will play Madden on Sunday morning to determine my prediction for the game. I have played a ‘dress rehearsal’ game of just four-minute quarters and came out with a 17-0 score in favor of the Patriots. I also played an online game as the Patriots against another person playing as the Giants and won 27-0. Not good news (or maybe very good news) for the Giants, but we will see how the real deal goes.

Be sure to check out my prediction post on Sunday and you can now follow my blog on Twitter: @PuffontheNFL

Links:

Roger Goodell Press Conference

Semifinalists - HOF Class of 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment