Friday, January 6, 2012

Wild-Card 2012, Part IV

As I did last year, I will be breaking down each playoff matchup in its own post. Be sure to check out my predictions for all four games.

Game 4:

Sunday, January 8, 2012
4:30pm – CBS

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Denver Broncos

I am excited to see Tim Tebow in the playoffs, but there is no hiding my feeling that he and the Broncos will be leaving early. On the bright side, they won’t have a long flight to come back on after the game.

There is hope for the Broncos, but I don’t think it is enough.

Rashard Mendenhall is out for the Steelers, and an already fantastic Broncos defense will only have an easier time because of it. Just because I am confident that Denver will lose on Sunday, I do not see the Steelers running up the score by any means.

Another ray of hope for the Broncos is Pittsburgh’s loss of Ryan Clark for this game. A few years ago, in a game between these two teams in the same stadium, Clark nearly died after the high altitude caused some medical problems due to him having sickle cell trait (which is not the same as sickle cell anemia). After that game, Clark had to have two major organs removed.

The significance of that loss is that Clark’s style of play allows Troy Polamalu to free style and give the appearance of being everywhere on the field at one time. If Polamalu has to play the role of a safety, that could give Tebow room to run around with only James Harrison to really have to keep a close eye on. If Polamalu starts cheating up, Tebow has shown that he can throw, and if he can break the slump he spent the last three weeks in, the Broncos could give the Steelers a scare.

That said, my pick:

Pittsburgh beats Denver, 17-10

Other Predictions:

Bengals @ Texans
Lions @ Saints
Falcons @ Giants

2 comments:

  1. Your writing style is bland and uninteresting. Give me a reason why I would want to read this having already watched ESPN for the day. Bring something new to the table, rather than just regurgitate what you hear on sportstalk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the criticism, though I would prefer for it to come with some recommendation for how I could make it more interesting for you. As for your other comment, if any of this has been said in the same way I wrote it, it isn't because I heard it. I hear things, but I present things in my own way and own words. I would never steal someone else's work or ideas, so any such occurrence, I promise, is coincidence.

    ReplyDelete