Sunday, September 2, 2012

Defining the 2012 Preseason: American Football Conference



With the regular season just a few days from opening, the question many fans around the country are asking is, ‘what do the results from this Preseason mean for my team over the next 17 weeks?’

The answer for each team is very different, so I can’t just make a generalization to deliver to everyone. Instead I will go team-by-team. Due to space I will only be able to dedicate a few sentences to each team so it is my job to provide as much useful, relevant information as possible in a short paragraph.

For each team there are two records in parenthesis. The first is that team’s 2012 Preseason record. The second is my prediction for their record at the end of the 2012 Regular Season.

Today, I am focusing on the AFC. Tomorrow I will do the same for the NFC.

AFC East

Buffalo Bills (0-4, 7-9)

The winless Preseason might have been more telling about the Bills than either of the other two winless teams this August. This team is already a big question, and earning no wins shows a serious lack of depth. My initial prediction was probably a bit high. This team might only win four or five games in 2012.

Miami Dolphins (0-4, 7-9)

It is more difficult to blame Miami’s Preseason woes on a lack of depth. It is just as likely that they were severely distracted. When the Jets were featured on Hard Knocks, they went 2-2 in the Preseason, but both wins were squeakers. Nevertheless, they went on to a have an 11-5 regular season. I am not sure that’s how Miami’s season will turn out, but you never know.

New England Patriots (1-3, 15-1)

I am now finding it easier to justify handing a couple more losses to New England this year, but I still think they will run away with the conference. New England’s defense is still weak, and their bench is not very deep. But their starting offense is still a top-3 threat in the league. Their backups were just that bad.

New York Jets (0-4, 6-10)

New York’s Preseason was… bizarre. They scored 21 points in their first three games – ALL ON FIELD GOALS. They knocked in two against Cincinnati, one against the Giants, and four against the Panthers. They opened the scoring against the Eagles with a touchdown pass by Greg McElroy before hitting an 8th field goal in a 28-10 loss in Philadelphia. The last time a team went three full Preseason games before punching it into the end zone was the 1977 Atlanta Falcons. That team went 7-7 only because they allowed the fewest points ever in a 14-game season. I don’t think the Jets’ defense is good enough to give them seven wins in a 16-game season.

AFC North

Baltimore Ravens (2-2, 12-4)

I don’t think a .500 Preseason is at all dooming for the Ravens, considering they outscored their opponents by 16 points. They lost by a lot to a very good Lions team and though the Rams beat them by two touchdowns, that game was the Preseason finale and it was all backups. They beat the Falcons 31-17 and the Jaguars 48-17 in weeks 1 & 3 respectively. Baltimore has nothing to worry about and 12 wins is still very much in their court.

Cincinnati Bengals (2-2, 5-11)

Cincinnati beat the Jets (not surprising) and the Falcons (very surprising to me). They then lost to the Packers and the Colts, two games they have every excuse in the world to lose. I’m on the fence with this team. They aren’t a terrible group, but I don’t think they are as good as they were last season. I’ll stick with 5 wins for this bunch.

Cleveland Browns (2-2, 3-13)

The Browns played all four Preseason games against NFC opponents. They beat two of what I consider the strongest teams in the division in their first two games – Detroit, 19-17, and Green Bay, 35-10. They came back to earth with losses to the Eagles and Bears (still strong teams, but I don’t think as strong) in weeks 3 and 4. Again, it is just Preseason, but I look at those two wins and see that this team has some fight. Will they win more than the three I project them to? They might, they might not. But even if they don’t, this team could be a part of a lot of exciting, close games this season.

Pittsburgh Steelers (3-1, 12-4)

The Steelers lost just once this Preseason, a 24-23 nail biter to the Eagles in their first game. They then beat Indianapolis by two, crushed the Bills, and beat the Panthers 17-16. I still believe this team will challenge for the AFC North title, but I did not see anything this Preseason that makes me think they can run away with it.

AFC South

Houston Texans (3-1, 12-4)

Houston is a good team, and they now have experience as a contender. With Matt Schaub this team rolled over the Panthers and 49ers before losing by 7 points to Drew Brees and the Saints. The Texans backups then edged the Vikings. This team is still a favorite to win this division, and if Schaub stays healthy, I have no doubt they will do so.

Indianapolis Colts (2-2, 7-9)

I feel more confident in the Colts after this preseason, but I still think playoffs are out of the question for them. An 8th win, however, is a possibility. This team might be just two or three years out from returning to postseason, and maybe even Super Bowl, contention. Andrew Luck could have a really big year.

Jacksonville Jaguars (3-1, 5-11)

The Jaguars actually did pretty well this Preseason, and having Maurice Jones-Drew back from his holdout helps a lot. MJD will not start in the first game of the season, but he most likely will from then on. The problem with Jacksonville is that, despite their three Preseason wins, they were outscored by a combined 17 points over their four games.


Tennessee Titans (3-1, 5-11)

The Titans defense gave up less than 17 points/game this preseason, which could be what saves them this season. Their offense is ok, and, if he can stay healthy for once, Kenny Britt will be a huge asset for them after he serves his one-game suspension.

AFC West

Denver Broncos (2-2, 10-6)

Denver’s defense may not be quite as good as it was last year, but it is still up there, and hopefully as Peyton Manning continues to get more comfortable in his system their defense won’t have to be as good. Less pressure will likely lead to better play anyway. I still fully expect 10 wins from Denver. Also, Denver was the only team in the division to outscore their opponents over the course of the 2012 Preseason.

Kansas City Chiefs (1-3, 3-13)


The Chiefs opened the Preseason with a 10-point victory over Arizona but then lost by 14 to St. Louis, by 30 to Seattle, and by 21 to Green Bay. In all, the Chiefs were outscored by over 60 points over their four games. I have little more to say about Kansas City.

Oakland Raiders (1-3, 4-12)

Losing to Dallas? I can buy that. Losing to Seattle in a game started by backups? I can buy that, too. But losing to Arizona and winning against the Lions? The Raiders are a big question mark for me.

San Diego Chargers (3-1, 10-6)

San Diego beat Green Bay, Dallas and Minnesota. Their only hiccup was a 35-3 shellacking handed to their backups by San Francisco’s backups. I still hesitate to give more than 10 wins to the Chargers because their problem hasn’t been August – it’s been December. But this team is doing something right and if they play their cards right during the season, they could be contending for a first round bye in the playoffs.


Remember, tomorrow’s post will be just like today’s, but covering the NFC teams. I will make my week 1 predictions in Tuesday’s post. Wednesday I will publish my Season Opener preview before I go on-air with the rest of The All-Sports Crew on WMUC Sports Radio in College Park. Be sure to read and listen. Thank you and happy Labor Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment