Monday, December 31, 2012

Sunday Night Football Afterword: Redskins vs Cowboys

Rookie RB Alfred Morris holds the Redskins' record for
rushing yards in a season and carried the team to the
NFC East title against Dallas. Photo credit to Redskins.com

So with 11 playoff spots already determined, only one was left to award, the NFC East champion. The winner of the Dallas Cowboys/Washington Redskins matchup on Sunday Night would win the division and host the Seahawks in the wild-card round of the playoffs. The loser would go home empty-handed.

It was a fantastic game. As a Redskins fans, I couldn’t breath for about half of it. But it was everything the NFL fan in me could hope for – a close game where every play mattered, where mistakes and successes were amplified.

The Redskins offense took a while to get into a rhythm, but their defense came up with interceptions on two very poor passes by Tony Romo to keep Dallas from scoring, despite moving the ball well early on. The second interception was by fellow DeMatha grad and Terps alum Josh Wilson.

The Cowboys did strike first with a touchdown pass to Jason Witten on a controversial play – it looked like Tony Romo got the snap off about a full second after the play clock expired, but no flag was thrown.

Washington struck right back with a long drive of their own, culminating in a 17-yard touchdown run by Alfred Morris, his first of three scores on the day.

Kai Forbath missed his first field goal of the season on a windy night in Landover, but the Redskins defense came to play in the second half and all but completely shut down the Cowboys, who have been significantly better in the final quarter all season. Dallas did score 10 points in the fourth quarter, but the Redskins scored more and came away with the NFC East Championship.

Alfred Morris had a terrific game with 200 yards to go with his three touchdowns. The sixth round draft pick broke Clinton Portis’ team record for rushing yards in a single season.

Morris was my MVP of the game, but my runner-up was absolutely DeAngelo Hall. I give him a hard time, and I will absolutely not say that I have been wrong to do so. He’s had good games in the past, but more recent performances make those games look like flukes. Who knows, last night may have been a fluke, too. But right now it doesn’t matter, because after a rocky start early in the first quarter, Hall played shut-down defense all night, taking away Dez Bryant and allowing Washington’s blitz packages to work properly. He may make a fool of himself against Seattle, but he was a hero last night.

And it’s hard not to feel bad for Tony Romo. He is a quality quarterback, but he is now 1-6 as a starter in elimination games in Week 17 or the playoffs.

It was a fantastic season and it ended in a way I never would have expected, with a fantastic division championship game between two bitter rivals. Not focus turns to the postseason.

I am not yet sure what I will publish tomorrow. I may write a 10 Things post or I may come up with something else. Ideas are certainly welcome. Wednesday I will publish my predictions after The All-Sports Crew show. Thursday I will publish previews for Saturday’s wild-card games and Friday I will do the same for Sunday’s.

Thanks for reading, have a safe New Year’s Eve, and a special shout out to my mom, whose birthday is today. Happy birthday, Mom! Thank you for all of your constant support and I love you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment