Saturday, February 2, 2013

Super Bowl XLVII: The Preview


Super Bowl Sunday Countdown: 1 Day

Photo credit to International Business Times.
Super Bowl weekend is finally upon us. In less than 36 hours the NFL will have a new defending champion. Today I will not be making my prediction, but I wanted to preview this game before I choose a winner since I don’t actually choose my official prediction on my own. Instead, today I will cover each aspect of the game and give an edge to a team.

Offense

On first glance, Baltimore and San Francisco are pretty even. Frank Gore is a little more power than Ray Rice, while Rice is a little speedier than Gore, but neither is limited to running for speed or for power. The 49ers had better depth before Kendall Hunter went down with an injury, but LaMichael James and Bernard Pierce are about equal.

At receiver, San Francisco has Randy Moss and Michael Crabtree. I give the Ravens a pretty clear advantage at receiver because of how stellar Torrey Smith and Anquan Boldin have been this postseason. People give Boldin grief for not being as good as he was in Arizona, but I disagree with them. Jacoby Jones is a solid third receiver and the 49ers don’t really have much of a third option.

But there is another factor in the receiving game, and that is of course the Tight End. Dennis Pitta vs Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker; looks like a clear advantage here. The fact that San Francisco doesn’t really have a good third receiver and Davis still makes plays is remarkable.

The offensive lines are fairly equal in both the run game and the pass game, so not much to talk about up front.

As for the quarterbacks, it would be easy to continue to hate on Joe Flacco and call him overrated. I don’t really know where I stand on that argument right now, but he has had a fantastic postseason and I give him a lot of credit for that. So when I say that I give the edge at quarterback to San Francisco, it is not because I think Colin Kaepernick is a better quarterback than Flacco. It is because the 49ers have more versatility with Kaepernick than the Ravens do with Flacco.

Offensive Edge: San Francisco 49ers

Defense

If you look solely as defensive statistics from this past season, you’ll see that the 49ers were better than the Ravens in just about every category, in some more significantly than in others. A lot of people are leaning on those stats to claim that San Francisco has a clear edge. Ray Lewis changes that, whether you like to admit it or not. He was missing for 10 games during the regular season, during which the Ravens defensive rankings went down steadily. This defensive unit looks completely different this postseason. They look much more focused, much more energized, and much more comfortable working with each other.

On the defensive line, it is hard not to give the edge to the 49ers. Even though Aldon Smith is officially listed as the 49ers’ starting ROLB, he comes up to play off the line alongside Justin Smith pretty often and is very dangerous. Because of this, I tend to treat Aldon Smith as a lineman.

Take him away from the linebacker corps, and it’s much more even between Baltimore and San Francisco. If anything, it gives the edge to the Ravens with Lewis, Courtney Upshaw, Terrell Suggs and Albert McClellan. Good as they are, I don’t know that Ahmad Brooks, NaVorro Bowman and Patrick Willis quite measure up.

In the defensive secondary, I have to give the edge to the Ravens, and it’s not even close. Corey Graham and Cary Williams have been phenomenal on the corners this offseason. They rarely get beat and with 40 times around 4.4, they have the speed to make up for occasionally mistakes. Carlos Rogers and Tarell Brown have nothing on Graham and Williams.

Deeper in the secondary, Donte Whitner and Dashon Goldson have done a pretty good job, and C.J. Spillman is a good third man, but I again give the edge to Baltimore. Ed Reed is still a ball hawk and is healthy right now. James Ihedigbo is a terrific player and Bernard Pollard made a huge difference in the secondary when he returned from injury just like Ray did at middle linebacker.

Defensive Edge: Baltimore Ravens

Special Teams

Andy Lee has been slightly better than Sam Koch in the punting game this season, but it is by no close margin that Justin Tucker has outkicked David Akers. Just one year removed from setting the NFL record for most converted field goals in a season, Akers has been arguably the third most unreliable kicker in the league.

In the return game, Ted Ginn Jr. was much more explosive in 2011 than this season. LaMichael James has been pretty solid in kickoff returns, but Jacoby Jones has both of them beat in all aspects of the return game.

Special Teams Edge: Baltimore Ravens

Coaching Staffs

I personally believe that Jim Harbaugh is a better coach than his brother, John. It isn’t by a wide margin, but he has a very different relationship with his players than John does with his. Neither has, in any way, a poor relationship with their teams, but I think Jim’s personality is a little more conducive to coaching football players.

That said, I give Baltimore the edge with the assistant coaches. It is getting harder and harder to say that Jim Caldwell shouldn’t be the long-term offensive coordinator in Baltimore. His play calling has been very good this postseason, though it was very strange in the Denver game. Dean Pees has done a great job replacing Chuck Pagano on the defensive side. I like San Francisco’s position coaches a little more, but when it comes to coaching staffs, you have to look at head coaches and coordinators. The position coaches don’t have a huge affect on how the games go.

Coaching Edge: Even


Tomorrow I will make my official prediction by playing Madden, which I have done every year since the Ravens’ first Super Bowl appearance. To stay updated on my blog as new posts are published, ‘like’ my blog’s Facebook page and follow me on Twitter, @cpuffnfl.

11 comments:

  1. really the you give the edge top the LB core of the Raven over the Niners. Comeon man due you research, Bowman and Willis are statistically the two best in the business. There is no way the raven LB our better then the Niners. Lewis has gotten slower and gets beat quite frequently in coverage unlike the speedy LB of the Niners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 49ers strongest asset is the LB core. #53 Bowman is better than any MLB in the league. Smith and Brooks are outstanding pass rushers and edge setters. The fact you say they don't measure up shows just how unfamiliar you are with the 49ers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In no way do I mean any disrespect to the linebacker corps of the 49ers. Just because I believe firmly that the Ravens' LB corps is better does not mean that I think the 49ers' linebackers are bad.

    It may be your opinion that Bowman is the best MLB in the league. I disagree, but perhaps neither of us is correct. But I'm looking at each teams' linebackers across the board. My reason for giving Baltimore the edge in that category is because of their depth.

    As for Lewis, yes he is slower, but he has made up for it with his intelligence and knowing where the play is going. He led Baltimore in tackles against Indianapolis, his first game back from injury. He gets beat occasionally, but I would not say frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. do you even know what offseason is? offseason is when the teams arent playing. this is post season not offseason. "Corey Graham and Cary Williams have been phenomenal on the corners this POST SEASON". bowman is definitely one of the best mlb in the league whereas lewis isnt even in the top 5. patrick willis is one of the most dominant defensive players in the game. saying that ravens have a better lb corpse just shows how unknowledgable you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly a bit embarrassing on the "offseason" typo, but thank you for catching that and pointing it out so I could fix that.

      As for the rest of your comment, I take it you did not read my previous comment concerning the reason I gave the edge to Baltimore in that aspect of the defense. I mean absolutely no disrespect to Bowman or Willis. They are two of the best in the business. But part of the reason Ray Lewis is not considered in the top 5 is his stats, but he missed 10 games this season. He is still plenty smart. The Ravens have a very deep linebacker corps; IN MY OPINION, deeper than San Francisco's. You can disagree with my opinion, but it does not make me "unknowledgable."

      Delete
  5. Joe Flacco is not a flashy QB, I understand that. However, saying that, look at what his post season stats have been throughout his career, compared to other elite QB's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh absolutely. Even if you were to throw out his previous four postseason appearances (5-4, 8 TDs, 8 INTs), 8 touchdowns and no interceptions this past January speaks for itself. He's playing at another level the past few weeks.

      Delete
  6. This kid is a fool. First Cary williams was absolute trash during the reg season. Yes he has two INT's in the post season but statistically he gives up major yardage and isn't a strong tackler. Culliver is the weakest link in the 49ers secondary but he is still better than williams. Goldsen and whitner were according to PFF the best safety tandem in the NFL..by a lot. Oh, and ray lewis being better than bowman or willis? Dude its not 2001. They are the best duo in football. Besides ngata the 49ers are better at every position on def. I am a Ravens fan but I really don't think we can stop this 49ers team. If they run inside the numbers, we can probably limit them, but when they get on the edge with kap or LMJ you really think ray lewis is going to be able to be effective? And who is going to cover davis a 250lb tight end with 4.3 speed? Lewis? Yeah right. I want the ravens to win but I bet on the 49ers, because myself and lots of others here in Vegas know that it will be much much harder for the ravens to win than for the 49ers to lose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm about to give up on replying to you commenters. You all are bringing up excellent points but you are completely ignoring my REASON for giving the edge to Baltimore in the LB corps. The Ravens' linebacking corps is not Ray Lewis. It is Lewis AND Suggs, Upshaw and McClellan. Bowman and Willis are two of the best linebackers in the NFL, but who else do they have? Aldon Smith, but as I said, I consider him more of a lineman based on how he usually plays. It's the depth that gives Baltimore the edge in my opinion.

      And none of this is a prediction. I'm not saying the Ravens defense can or cannot contain Vernon Davis, or that they can or cannot contain Kaepernick or James.

      Delete
    2. Your "reasoning" defies logic. You CANNOT give the edge on line backers to Baltimore when 3 of the 4 linebackers for San Fran are 1st team all-pro. Your real reasoning is "I am a Baltimore fan,a and I refuse to give credit where credit is due to San Francisco." No one with any semblance of knowledge of football could have written this article.

      Delete
    3. FYI - I am a Redskins, Colts and Peyton Manning fan. I will be rooting for the 49ers today and though I don't really dislike the Ravens, I can't stand their fans. My opinion is that the Ravens have a slight edge over the 49ers in this particular category. Most people who have commented feel otherwise, and that is your opinion. But don't act like I may as well be saying that Chad Henne is a better quarterback than Ben Roethlisberger. Funny how the disrespectful people area always the anonymous commenters, but I suppose that's to be expected on the internet.

      Delete