Tuesday, February 12, 2013

JaMarcus Russell Comeback


JaMarcus Russell and Jeff Garcia were teammates on the Raiders
during the 2009 preseason and is now trying to help him return
to the NFL. Photo credit to NFL.com.

So Russell is serious, after all, at least for the moment. A few weeks ago this story came out and my first thought was that it was too early for an April Fool’s Day joke.

But his comeback story was updated Saturday when Bleacher Report posted a video of Russell working out with former NFL quarterback Jeff Garcia. In the initial reports from a few weeks ago it was said he would also be training with Marshall Faulk and former Olympic sprinter Ato Boldon of Trinidad.

Currently weighing in at 308 pounds, Russell was reportedly even heaver than that just a few months ago. His reported weight from his Raider days was around 260 so he still has quite a bit of work to do.

There is no way he will be playing in the NFL in 2013. Heck, I’m not even sure he’ll still want this by the time we hit mid-March. Sure he’ll want it, but will he still be willing to work for it? Forgive me for being a doubting Thomas, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

But what if he does stick with the program? Could he spend a year or more in the CFL as he works his way back to the NFL? Would he spend a year or more in the CFL? I think the answer to that lies in his motivation for trying to return to the NFL, and I don’t think any of us know what that is right now.


Remember to check back daily during the week for my take on some of the biggest stories surrounding the NFL. ‘Like’ my Facebook page and follow me on Twitter, @cpuffnfl, to stay updated on new blog posts as they are published.

By the way, forgot to include this when I first published this, but happy birthday to Robert Griffin III, who turned 23 today!

No comments:

Post a Comment