Monday, February 25, 2013

2013 Offseason Update, Week 3


Marquise Goodwin, a wide receiver out of Texas, posted the combine's fastest
40-yard dash and second best broad jump. Photo credit to Yahoo! Sports via NFL Network.
Every Monday during the offseason, I will be recapping some of the biggest stories of the previous week that I did not cover individually. There wasn’t too much big news in the third week of the offseason that I didn’t cover last week, but there are two things worth mentioning.

Chris Johnson Keeps Combine Record

In the offseason before his rookie season, Chris Johnson posted a 4.24 40-yard dash, the fastest recorded in the NFL rookie combine up to that point. Five years later, he is still the record holder.

This year’s fastest 40 was posted by Marquise Goodwin, a wide receiver out of Texas, who ran it in 4.27 seconds.

One combine record was broken this year, as Justin Hunter, a receiver from Tennessee, set the combine record in the broad jump with a leap of 11’ 4”.

Redskins Name Change a League Affair

I read a Washington Post article that brought some insight I had never considered concerning this topic. In fact, it wasn’t even something I was aware of.

Let’s say the Redskins were to bow to public opinion and they decided to change their name. They couldn’t. Or at least, they are not allowed to make that decision by themselves. Dan Snyder cannot just decide that he agrees that the name is offensive and choose to change the name.

A name change would have to be approved by the NFL and other owners in the league, and such an approval would be unlikely, and probably for more than just financial reasons.


Tomorrow I will begin my look at what each team needs to address this season, division by division, starting with the AFC. Next week I will do the same for the NFC divisions.

If you would like to hear my thoughts on any other offseason news from the past week, feel free to contact me via my blog’s Facebook page or my Twitter account, @cpuffnfl.

No comments:

Post a Comment