Friday, January 17, 2014

Puff’s Picks, 2014 Conference Championships



Cory Puffett

I went 3-1 on my picks for the divisional playoffs. It was the third straight year I’ve hit that mark for that round of the postseason. I went with my gut and picked the Colts to beat New England even though I knew it wasn’t likely to happen. Mostly I thought it was the most likely upset to occur, and I couldn’t just pick all favorites.

Last year I went 1-1 in the conference championship round, picking the Falcons to beat the 49ers incorrectly but getting the Ravens/Patriots game right. The year before that I was 2-0, getting both New England and New York correct.

I’m excited to see how I do this year, even though I’ll be rooting against both of my picks.

New England Patriots at Denver Broncos
January 19 – 3:00pm (CBS)

When the Broncos and Patriots met in the regular season, Denver took control early by forcing turnovers and crushing New England’s rushing attack. The way LeGarrette Blount and Stevan Ridley are running right now, I don’t see that happening this week.

I still love Denver’s offense, and with them at home and the weather conditions expected to be very mild for this time of year, I almost talked myself into picking the Broncos to win this game.

But Denver should have beaten San Diego by much more than they did in the divisional round and I can’t shake the feeling that Denver will once again fall short in a “Super Bowl or Bust” campaign.

New England is banged up on offense, but so is Denver on defense. And while the Patriots have their own share of defensive injuries, Bill Belichick is the best at plugging up holes on that side of the ball. I think Denver can win, and I hope they do, but my gut is telling me to take New England.

Puff’s Pick: Patriots beat Broncos, 34-31.


San Francisco 49ers at Seattle Seahawks
January 19 – 6:30pm (FOX)

Colin Kaepernick has thrown just one interception in his last 146 attempts. It’s a pretty impressive streak, almost Brady-like. But he is about to face his Achilles heel, Seattle at CenturyLink Field.
In seven starts last season Kaepernick threw three interceptions, one of which was at Seattle. That wasn’t such a big deal. But this year he threw just eight interceptions in 16 starts, but three of them were in Seattle back in Week 2.

The Seahawks’ secondary is deadly and their offense, though inconsistent at time this year, still worries me less than San Francisco’s. They have a better running back and, in my opinion at least, a better quarterback.

Let me put it this way. As far as I can tell, the Jaguars’ odds of winning Super Bowl XLIX (next year) are only slightly worse than the 49ers’ odds of winning in Seattle on Sunday.

Puff’s Pick: Seahawks beat 49ers, 31-13.

No comments:

Post a Comment